Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Book Mingling
For one of my favorite non-trad couples around, their "big day" came when they mingled their books. You know, they squished all their hard and paper backs together in alphabetical order. In fact, I think they may have already been married (an event they informed their family about via post card) but that's a different post.
Anyway, this weekend Quack and I mingled or books - "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" all snuggley with "Lies My Teacher Told Me." Looks strange, feels good.
Going through the books that were once boxed (the folks brought the shelves) I uncovered years of journals, dating back to my early high school years. Man! I used to be a really shitty poet! Not that I'm a good poet now, I just have the good sense not to write poetry anymore.
These journals...
All I ever thought about in high school was boys! Even the little spell of song writing was just a product of my crush on Bob Dylan (don't think about this one too hard, yuck) and the Beatles.
I'd like to take this opportunity to thank all of my gal-pals who put up with my starry-eyed shit.
One of these "boys" was/is Quack. It is so, SO, strange to see the drama of us unfold in my infant handwriting. At that point in my life I was actually trying to re-shape my handwriting so that my "t's" looked, well, exactly how this font types it, with that little curve at the bottom. I was successful at this, but "4's", which I wanted to look like this (4) still have a square and open top.
Point is, I was really trying to make things happen in my life at this time... and it shows in so many different ways.
Other characters enter the pages (Duffy, Hube, the Piano Man, Manimal and the Laundry Guy) - only the closest of the close will be able to decode these names by the by - but the Quackster is the main character.
Here's the thing. I don't know if I put them on the shelf like I always have, or to box them up where he might not feel invited to read.
I don't mind if he does, in fact, there are some things that I think he would love to revisit, it's just that he might not like everything he reads.
Readers...(including Quack, I guess) what do you think?
Does mingling your books mean you need to mingle your journals as well.
WOW! This post is too SJP in SITC for me.... sorry 'bout that.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

im pretty sure ive got about 3 of the names decoded! HA! My opinion: mingling implies more than one person sharing. Therefore, if he has journals to put on the shelf then you've gotta dish. Otherwise, box 'em up! See you soon! xoxo

Anonymous said...

Nope, your journals are yours, and his are his. The dearest of pals need their own spaces if they are to stay the dearest of pals. Neither yours nor his go on the shelf.

Anonymous said...

As the closest of the close (who yes, has decoded all of them!) I think they should go on the shelf. You and Quack have shared all that stuff already. Believe me, Quack probably won't even read them.
Or...is it time to throw them away? It's funny to look at occasionally, but how many times have you moved with them? Will move with them? You've given me the same advise a lot.
But I personally would mingle books, as well as memories in your new home.
-ScarletLavender