Friday, April 14, 2006

I am the proud warrior (pose)

Ok, let's face it.
I've been going through some rough crap lately.... none of which I will get into here.
None the less... it is evident. I have been the queen of the "ignore" button on my cell phone for weeks now.
As one friend put it,
"Fleener. You should record your outgoing message saying ' Hi. You've reached Fleener's phone. I don't feel like talking to you, or anyone, right now. But I'll call you back when I do.'"

Touche!

Anywho, I have been sick to top it all off. There has been a bonfire in my throat for the last week and there is not enough tissue in the house to remedy the faucet that has attached itself to my face.
So when I decided to go to yoga class last Wednesday, I prided myself on the self-boot-strap-yanking it took to get me there.
"Are you sure you want to go?" asked my workout buddy. "Downward dog (an upside down pose) might prove to be a little too much for that runnny nose of yours."
But it wasn't the runny nose I was worried about.
I feared that I would reach some relaxed, meditative state and just start blubbering (which my workout buddy also noted would be better to do in yoga than toot.)
I have been trying so hard to hold it together....but there is no place for your "game face" in yoga.
It's all out there in the open.... you finally think about your thoughts (if you know what I mean) and you listen to your body. (By the by, my body is telling me that those high heels I like to wear are kickin' my butt. My feet hurt like WHOA when I really pay attention to them.)
So I'm going through the poses and salutations and stretches and I find that I am not actually the wreck I thought I was. I was especially flexible and strong and balanced.
We moved on to the proud warrior pose, which is supposed to create a sense of stability and solidness.
I pointed one leg and toe towards the lake (my gym overlook s Lake Superior) stretched my arms out wide, breathed deep and leaned into it.

I. felt. like. a. brick. wall.
Like nothing could shake me.
I peered out across my open palm, out the window, across the lake and into the horizon.

"BOO YAH!" my body said to me.

Clearly not the emotion I had anticipated. But a welcome one indeed.
The feeling was so distinct, that when I start to slump towards that ignore button, I think of warrior pose and press the green one instead.

Cheesy post? Why yes.
But true none the less.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am working on my warrior pose too. I'll try the green button next time.

Anonymous said...

Way to be a rock, girl.

Be extra strong and toss out those high heels.

High heels permanently damage your feet. My mother has had to have bunion surgery from cramming her feet into pointy-toed pumps for years.

High heels are like footbinding. In China, women had their feet broken and doubled over and bound up. If they could walk at all, they could barely hobble. It was considered erotic for the man to unbind the woman's mangled feet.

High heels cripple you, and men find that sexy. Suddenly you're not a strong, capable woman, but a mincing, delicate thing who needs to be helped over an icy patch on the sidewalk. Whee.

I know, women like heels and choose them. Women chose foot binding, too, on the very same principle; it was attractive. To men who like to see women crippled.

There are totally cute shoes out there that don't harm your feet.

Flee said...

Gal with strong opinion about heels-
Do I know you?