Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Inverted Half Moon Pose (Heated)

I post too often about yoga and coffee. But they are the two things that balance me.
Today I tried a new yoga practise called "Heated Vinyasa." Basically, you go through the motions in a room heated by a mini sauna.
I walked into the room, smelling golden, like warm cedar. I closed my eyes and took in a deep breath. When I opened them and scanned the room for a spot to flop my mat, I was greeted by some of the instructors from my previous health club (since the move we are going to a different branch).
The golden feeling dissipated and it was replaced by steely fear. These women are SVELT! The kind of fit that is all tight abs and fake nails and sportswear that doubles as street wear. I'm clad in some cut-off sweat pants, a floppy t-shirt and my Crocs (of course). I stop dead in my tracks. This is like yoga class for Thoroughbreds, I belong more to the petting zoo variety of yogis.
But it was too late to turn back, so I set up shop and prayed for flexibility.
The instructor looked at me with raised eyebrows and then kindly asked, "Have you done Yoga before?" (Read: You are way out of your league pudge.)
"Oh yeah," I said in true MN fashion.
So we get right into the swing of things, upping and downward dogging, twisting and binding and stretching and posing. I was keeping up pretty well, and the heat didn't appear to be an issue, in fact I think it helped me to limber up a bit.
I was feeling bendy, ambitious, and with the instructors guidance, pushed myself a little further.
The teacher was great in the way she prodded and pushed her students' bodies into the right position. She helped me out on a full back bend, which I haven't done on purpose, or with any comfort, since I was like, 10.
It was all going ducky until I needed to use my calf to stabilize myself. I tipped forward (from a standing position) right foot grounded, left foot raising up behind me (like a seesaw) and as I grasped my cankle (not that I have a cankle just that I was grabbing by calf/ankle area) my hand slid down my leg like a frikin' slip and slide. I was so sweaty, which I was strangely unaware of, that it felt like I'd waded in a pool of KY.
I pitched forward, all balance and confidence lost, doing something that resembled a cartwheel/Karate fall.
Gazing up at the ceiling, my final resting place about four feet from my mat, the yoga instructor peeked her head in to my field of vision.
She didn't have to say anything.
"I'm fine," I said.
And I was, surprisingly. I resaddled and continued on with the session, with a little less candor and a strategically placed sweat towel.
At the end, during the meditation, "Shavasana" - or corpse pose - the teacher knelt at my mat and did a little initiation ceremony by rubbing jasmine oil onto my feet and giving me the best-feeling mini foot rub in the world.
As I walked out of the room, feeling like a rubber band, she said, "You did great. Hope to see you next Tuesday."
I would like to say that the spinal alignment and "third eye" peace of mind carried me the day through, but to be honest, when I picked up a bottle of toothpaste at the grocery store (immediately following the class) I had pain in my back and arm so fierce, it took my breath away.
I think it goes without saying that I can't wait for next week!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ah ha! now im not the only one with a silly sauna story!

Flee said...

Hey Joe - Joe- Joe....
Took me moment or two, but I just had a revelation. Thanks for the re-visual on that one.