Monday, March 13, 2006

Another post about wedding readiness....

I would like to begin by saying to all those who are interested in the decoration on my left ring finger ... DON'T HOLD YOUR BREATH!! It ain't happenin' any time soon.
And here's how I know.
The ice bucket of dread.
I was at a shower this weekend (and it wasn't your traditional show of pink fluff and frosting.) It was actually in a bar - and I was having a great time, until....
Dun, dun, DAHH!!
The ice bucket of dread.
There is this moment at every bridal shower I go to where I start to freeze up. You know, the moment where the bride starts opening her gifts, and most of them seem pretty reasonable for a young woman... a nice set of sheets, some pretty bowls, a funky Pampered Chef item perhaps (I myself am the proud owned of the PC chopper.) But then comes ... yes, one more time for affect.
The ice bucket of dread.
I can't see the use in this damn thing. Margarita set, yes. High thread count, yes. Ice bucket, hell no. My heart starts pounding, my breath shallows and I am casually (no, frantically) waving down the waitress for another Appletini.
Is there some sort of agreement between engagement jewelers and the ice industry to coheres brides into thinking they need this?
It is truly nothing against the lovely brides in my life. I love them all and respect their taste in housework (homer) house stuff.....Moving on, I think it speaks more to my need to own as little stuff as possible right now... because I don't want to have to move it.
It might also speak to how un-ready I am to be a happy-homemaker. I am much more content be the "lady-friend" I am right now.

1 comment:

Flee said...

Ahhh yes! Bucket by the bed... I hadn't thought of that. Brilliant!